All You Need To Know About The Best Wedge Pillows
Wedge pillows run below your tummy and partially your back and help support your body during the night. These pillows are not bulky, and you can easily carry them around and use not only for sleep but when watching TV or reading. They will also be useful after you give birth – you can just prop your pillow up when you are sitting to be more comfortable. Usually, wedge pillow is used below your tummy, and it provides perfect support and helps keep the weight from straining your hips and back. It can also be used behind your back. This will be especially convenient for those ladies that keep tossing and turning during the night. Sometimes a wedge pillow is used below your regular one and helps elevate your head to relieve heartburn. Wedge pillows come in two different styles: triangular wedge – looks like a wedge of cheese, round wedge – resembles a crescent moon.
- It doesn’t take much space in your bed, and will allow your partner to still sleep comfortably in your bed because your pillow will not take up much room. You can also take your wedge on trips, which is also a big advantage
- Not expensive. In fact, this is the cheapest type on the market
- Support just a small part of your body, and you might need an additional pillow
- Inconsistent in the design, and different brands may offer different products
The main goal of wedge pillows is to provide users the therapeutic rest. They perfectly adjust to individual body shapes and which are more critical support head and neck, thus ensuring proper spinal alignment. These pillows are multi-purpose. Therefore, it is already a matter of personal choice on how to use it: some people use it as a reading item, some as an anti-snoring solution, some buy it to “battle” with acid reflux, some for comfort, and so on. To put it simply, if you are searching for a device that would change your life forever, ensuring super comfortable night sleep, rest, and multiple beneficial qualities, then a wedge pillow is an ideal solution.
Table of Contents
- 1 All You Need To Know About The Best Wedge Pillows
- 2 How To Choose The Best One?
- 3 Top Wedge Pillows – Price Comparison
- 4 What Are The Top Picks?
- 4.1 #1 MedSlant wedge pillow for acid reflux overlay
- 4.2 #2 Brentwood Home Zuma therapeutic foam bed wedge pillow
- 4.3 #3 DMI foam bed wedge pillow, acid reflux pillow, leg elevation pillow
- 4.4 #4 The Wedgehog baby wedge for reflux and congestion
- 4.5 #5 InteVision ortho bed wedge with high-quality, removable cover
- 4.6 #6 Liberator 24” wedge, black microfiber
- 4.7 #7 Conventional foam bed wedge pillow
- 4.8 #8 Eva Medical wedge bed pillow with white pillow cover
- 5 Final Words
How To Choose The Best One?
What should one know before shopping and what should be paid special attention to, not to make a mistake? Well, here are some criteria to follow:
- Sizes – the cushions of this particular category vary in sizes. In such a way, depending on the size of a bed you have, you can opt for the optimal size. For instance, in case you have a full or a twin bed, then select for an individual item. If you have a larger bed, like a queen or king-size, then it would be right to opt for bigger items. Following these proportions and keeping the balance, doesn’t only make the room look aesthetic and stylish but also makes the bed more comfortable for resting, sleeping, relaxing, etc.
- Materials – there are lots of materials that can be used during the manufacturing process. However, these are very high-quality products, hence they are filled with either regular foam or memory foam that contours the shapes of a body within seconds and doesn’t go flat. Thousands of people prefer memory foam filler, as it promotes necessary support to the whole day, no matter whatever position you take. Also, if you are a side, back, or a stomach sleeper, you can be sure that memory foam items will fit you the most. In case of any doubts, you can also consider polyurethane material that is a little bit firmer compared to memory foam. One more option is polyester. These cushions are fairly soft and are not suitable for medical or support purposes. Nonetheless, they are perfect for moms-to-be, since they can be used in any position and which is more significant, they can be maneuvered easily. They reduce neck and back pain, muscles pressure, etc.
- Usage – as it was aforementioned, wedge pillows vary in shapes and sizes, hence it determines the ways they can be used. For example, a standard bed wedge pillow was specially designed to improve blood circulation, reduce acid reflux, and maximize comfort through the night. Larger versions can serve as a support when reading, working on a laptop, support for back, etc. A special leg wedge pillow with a curve keeps the blood circulation flowing, thus avoiding stiffness and numbness. So, if you suffer from varicose or restless leg syndrome, then this model would be one of the greatest solutions.
It is no secret that good night sleep is very important as it automatically means refreshed and well-rested morning. In spite of this, traditional cushions can hardly bring this effect. That’s the main ground why lots of people refused using feather pillows and started opting for wedge pillows. These products work 24/7 to keep the head up, support the neck, and consequently, align the spine. This doesn’t only bring health but also comfort that is so needed in the modern world.
- No more respiratory problems – are you suffering from apnea or any other respiratory disease? Then a wedge-shaped cushion will easily “save” you. Due to the point that it supports the head all night long, no matter whether you are sleeping on a side, back, or stomach, you will never have issues with the airway.
- No more back pain – a backache is one of the worst things that can happen to a person. Nonetheless, it can easily be minimized with a back wedge pillow. Consequently, if you are tired of experiencing backache every single night, then opt for this item, thus providing support to the cervical vertebrae. NOTE* if you place this model under the knees, it will relieve the pain in the lower back.
- No more snoring – indeed, rhonchus is very unpleasant, especially if you sleep with a partner. This problem can be eliminated or completely stopped thanks to a wedge pillow for snoring. The air will move freely through the nose and throat, and this will result in only a positive outcome for both parties.
- Support for shoulders – this benefit plays a vital role, especially for side sleepers. Thanks to the support a product is capable of promoting, you can forget about shoulders numbness and stiffness.
- Better blood circulation – what can be better than placing a wedge cushion under the knees after a hard-working day? This helps muscles relax, swollen feet recover, and even helps with varicose veins.
- Soothing of acid reflux – due to a correctly chosen wedge pillow for acid reflux, one can easily solve this problem. This is possible as a device promotes a gentle incline, in such a way, an acid will not reach throat, thus a deep and healthy sleep is guaranteed.
Ways of using: who can use, how to use, and where to use
If you have already purchased or are just planning to shop for a wedge pillow, then you should also know as many ways as it is can be used. So, here are a few ways of customizing the product for a perfect rest or sleep:
- Upright recline – if you hate leaning against the cold wall when watching TV, reading a book, or doing something else, then it is high time to place this kind of an item behind the back.
- Gentle slope for back sleepers – if you are a back sleeper, then this particular way is definitely for you. Giving the upper body just a bit of height during the night helps with respiratory issues, apnea, etc. All the pressure is taken off the airway, so the air goes freely through the nose and throat. This also helps with acid reflux as a little slope doesn’t let acid reach the throat.
- On a lap – this would be especially comfortable for those, who have turned their bedrooms into an office completely or partially. If you need to do some urgent work but don’t want to get out of bed, then use this product as a support on a lap. It is like a mini desk that keeps the wrists relaxed.
- Under the knees – do you want to relieve pain in a lower back and improve circulation, then a wedge pillow is what you need.
- Gentle slope for side sleepers – sleeping at an incline doesn’t only solve the problem of acid reflux and apnea, but also supports the neck and shoulders when sleeping on aside.
- Pregnancy – if you are an expecting mom, who is looking for support of a tummy and not only, then this device would be the best option. They can be placed anywhere, providing maximum comfort that is very important in the last months of pregnancy. Also, you automatically receive back pain elimination.
- Medical recovery – these particular cushions are extremely popular among people, who had surgeries or injuries and thus, require extra support and care. We all know that beds in hospitals have a certain incline and this is exactly what you can get back home with this item. It will support the torso as well as manage the blood flow.
- Relaxing or sitting in bed – at the end of a long day, we all want to relax and just lazy around. So, simply place the pillow against the wall, and your spine will immediately get straight and contoured. A bed wedge roller makes a real difference that you will feel during the first minutes of usage.
Top Wedge Pillows – Price Comparison
What Are The Top Picks?
#1 MedSlant wedge pillow for acid reflux overlay
This model from the MedSlant was specially designed by professionals to support and elevate the upper body and keep the acid down so that it doesn’t get into the throat.[amazon_link asins=’B00E3X5K6Y’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’d49d83f1-9fe5-11e8-ada6-19611a074680′]
This helps to breathe properly through the night without experiencing any difficulties or complications. Inside, it is filled with 100% memory foam that is considered to be the best filler among all existing ones due to its feature to contour the shapes of a body and not flatten. This material is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant, so there is no need to worry about risks of allergies or asthma. The size of 32 x 28 x 7 inches is more than enough to get a nice and comfortable night’s sleep. As for the cover, it is made of microfiber and hence, is easily removable and machine washable. Even after multiple washes, it remains soft and pleasant against the skin without causing any itching reactions. It is produced in the US and is certified by all necessary departments. Finally, it is highly rated among customers, to be exact 4.6 stars out of 5. The only minor cons of this model can be the price. However, it is 100% worth every single dollar due to its quality, durability, and multiple beneficial qualities that bring only positive outcomes in terms of health and comfort.
#2 Brentwood Home Zuma therapeutic foam bed wedge pillow
This is a versatile bed wedge pillow that can be used in different ways.[amazon_link asins=’B00DTZVLTW’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’e1fab0e2-9fe5-11e8-8669-f55c380d70b8′]
For instance, as support for legs, upper body, or as a trunk stabilizer when lying on one of the sides. It would also be useful and effective to those, who suffer from respiratory issues, acid reflux, poor blood circulation, pain and neck ache, etc. In simple words, it provides both comfort and healthy sleep or rest. The case is made of very soft stretch knit that can be easily removed and washed in a machine at a gentle cycle. Consequently, not much care is required. Keep in mind, that the materials it is made of are hypoallergenic that is appreciated by allergy and asthma sufferers. The item is made in the USA and has all the certificates to prove its premium quality. Furthermore, in spite of multiple advantages, it comes at a very affordable price, depending on a size you opt for since it offers the whole 4: 7, 8, 10, and 12 inches. As for the cons, it might seem to be too firm for those users, who prefer or are used to soft versions. No more side effects have been found.
#3 DMI foam bed wedge pillow, acid reflux pillow, leg elevation pillow
If are you searching for a foam wedge for bed, then this can be an option.[amazon_link asins=’B004X7BBC2′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’ed6b27c2-9fe5-11e8-906b-2110f9aba308′]
This model from DMI is filled with top-notch quality memory foam filler that easily and quickly contours the curves of a body, supporting it all night long. The right spinal alignment guarantees no pain in the neck, shoulders, back, lower back, etc. It also serves as an ideal leg and knee wedge pillow, improving blood flow, relieving knee pain, helping with varicose veins, and simply reducing numbness and aching. Its cover is manufactured from polyester cotton, which makes it machine-washable, soft to the skin, and hypoallergenic. Due to high-quality materials, it is made of, you may not worry about flattening at all. Even after a few years of usage, it will have its perfect shape. So, if ahead, foot, and leg elevation are what you need, that doesn’t hesitate to make a purchase, as the price is more than affordable. Knowing all its pros, it is also important to note the cons we have noticed about this product. At first, the level of firmness is too high for those users, who are used to softer models. Second, when it isn’t bought from the manufacturer directly, there might be issues with quality.
#4 The Wedgehog baby wedge for reflux and congestion
Devices of this category can be purchased and used not only by mature people or teens but also babies.[amazon_link asins=’B00ASUM78K’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’a89fda51-51ce-49bf-bb90-5cd32764974a’]
This particular model of a baby wedge pillow from the Wedgehog brand is known and popular all over the world. The company has been working on the market for over ten years, producing only premium quality sleeping accessories. This cushion is filled with memory foam, which is absolutely safe for babies. Additionally to that, this same foam that is filled inside is made less than twelve weeks ago for the sake of safety reasons. It is produced in the UK, which means complete and utter customer satisfaction. The item can be placed in a cot bed or under the mattress, creating the desired angle. Furthermore, when you buy it, you receive lifetime support and pieces of advice on how to help a baby with reflux issues. The rating is fairly high with customers estimating it with 4.4 stars out of 5. Also, the price will never burn holes in your pockets and will make your baby’s sleep perfect. However, like every product, this pillow has its cons too, but only one – according to very few people, it doesn’t completely solve the reflux issue.
#5 InteVision ortho bed wedge with high-quality, removable cover
This is an exceptional memory foam wedge pillow that offers a two-layer design.[amazon_link asins=’B008GQ04S8′ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’0d371c13-9fe6-11e8-bda8-d321229fd11a’]
It has memory foam on top of a firm base. Such an unusual combination of materials provides more comfort and support. Additionally to that, it deals greatly with the relaxation of a spinal cord, relieving of back and neck pain, and also the elimination of muscle tension. The case it comes with is also produced of a quality material that is hypoallergenic and machine-washable. The manufacturer offers to purchase extra covers of 100% Egyptian cotton as a replacement when the first one is in the laundry. The company guarantees satisfaction, and if not, then you can always return the device and get a full refund without question asked. This cushion has a rating of 4.5 stars out of 5 and a reasonable price affordable to everyone. Speaking of the negative aspects, there is only one – it is not comfortable for stomach sleepers. For the rest types of sleepers, it can become the best solution, due to its versatility and multiple beneficial criteria.
#6 Liberator 24” wedge, black microfiber[amazon_link asins=’B019PHGN4U’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’58f89338-9fe6-11e8-ba77-1f8ec942e387′]
This is another unique model of a wedge pillow that is made of microfiber fabric, meaning that it can be maneuvered in any comfortable for a useful way. Its cause can be easily removed and washed in a machine at a gentle cycle. Due to its size and shape, it can be stored under the bed or in a closet, etc., as it doesn’t take much space. It was designed to promote both support and comfort due to a 27-degree angle that is convenient for any position one takes. It is versatile and therefore, can be used by all kinds of sleepers. Additionally, apart from sleeping, one can use it when resting, watching TV, reading a book, lazing around, etc. This model can also be called an inflatable wedge pillow since it keeps its shape for several years as the minimum. Finally, the item is firm enough for different sex positions too. As for the disadvantages, we have noticed only one minor minus: the material picks up fuzz from the nearest surfaces, which means more regular washing processes.
#7 Conventional foam bed wedge pillow[amazon_link asins=’B002GKBG2S’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’63a285f2-9fe6-11e8-b015-d7641b92faac’]
This is an ideal urethane foam wedge pillow that is versatile and multi-purpose. It can be used however you want as well as placed wherever you need, e.g., under the legs, behind the torso or head, etc. Additionally, it can be located not only on a bed but also on the floor. It perfectly aligns and supports the spine, relieving pain in the lower back too. Its cover is produced of 100% cotton, meaning it is breathable, soft, and hypoallergenic. Also, there is a zipper that makes it easily removable and consequently, washable. Being made in the US means it is certificated and imported to other countries. Like any other product, this one is not an exception and has its cons. First of all, the smell of a newly opened product is not the most pleasant and it takes about a week for it to disappear. Second of all, it might be not the most comfortable cushion for side sleepers.
#8 Eva Medical wedge bed pillow with white pillow cover[amazon_link asins=’B004BDG6LE’ template=’BIG-NEWProductAd’ store=’sergiogowin-20′ marketplace=’US’ link_id=’6f901d0e-9fe6-11e8-b2ea-2d3ee8326084′]
It is currently one of the best medical wedge pillows on the market. It is called medical because it helps with acid reflux, snoring, allergies, back and neck issues, hernia, respiratory problems, etc. To provide the best quality ever, the manufacturer uses only premium quality materials. This particular model is made of high-density memory foam that contours the shapes of a body and supports the back through the night, minimizing ache and waking up. You can be sure, this item will not go flat thanks to well-constructed foam. You can count on 24/7 comfort, cool sleep due to breathability, better breathing, and improved blood circulation. As it is a versatile product, it can be used not only during the night but also throughout the day as legs or torso support and not only. It is made in the US and is certified by all departments. The negative side includes the following: when it is new and just opened, most probably there will be an unpleasant smell for some time.
Wedge cushions should be first of all considered when experiencing issues with snoring, acid reflux, and pain in a body. Due to the unique and original shape this product has, it automatically eases the ache, stress, and pressure. Moreover, these items are made of only top-notch, soft, hypoallergenic, and breathable materials that are capable of supporting the body as well as keep you cool through the night.
This helps not only feel relaxed and pain-free during the night but also sleep longer hours without waking up. With the market being full of different types of these products, one can opt for larger or smaller versions and use them in any convenient way. For example, under the leg and knees to raise them up, behind the back or neck for relieving pain, on a lap when working, etc.
It would be also important to mention that the effectiveness of these accessories depends a lot on cover material, filler, and of course, design. In the list we have provided you with, we have listed the best of the best products based on customers’ feedbacks, the reliability of a manufacturer, level of comfort, pain relief, ease of maintenance, and durability.
With a correctly chosen wedge pillow, you no longer will remember about poor blood circulation, breathing problems, backache, and pain in legs, shoulders, or back. Now, you can enjoy super comfort, relief, support, and health benefits.